Wep Ronpet 2013

When I woke up in the morning, I felt an instant change from the lackluster feelings of the intercalary days. It was almost like I had snorted coffee grounds in my sleep as well as had five Starbucks Double Shots, all in a row. The second I opened my eyes, I saw a lady bug above me. Thrilled beyond belief, I spent the first ten minutes of my day working on how to get a picture (that wasn’t shaky) so that I could show everyone how awesome my day was so obviously going to be. I’m not quite sure how I managed to maintain this energy overload, except I do have some ideas as to the cause – not just because of the holiday, I’m afraid – but it was quite refreshing. It made me feel new and fresh and altogether better about everything. It was going to be a good day.

From left to right, that is Sekhmet, Aset, Hetheru, and Djehuty.

From left to right, that is Sekhmet, Aset, Hetheru, and Djehuty.

I pulled all of my icons out of their normal places and left them on top of our air conditioner. The year before, I had taken my Sekhmet and Hetheru icons outside to be re-energized by Re’s rays while I did the same. Unfortunately, I had to work, so I couldn’t sunbathe along with my icons. I left them above the air conditioner to greet the day and to rejuvenate themselves in the sun. They went in the window at about 8:30 in the morning and didn’t come back out until about twelve hours later. If that’s not rejuvenation, then what was? While they started the process, I went outside and did some rejuvenating in the morning sun myself.

As I walked my dog, I had a dumb smile on my face. As I got dressed, I had a dumb smile on my face. As I brushed my teeth and did my hair, I had a dumb smile on my face. As I drove to work, I had a dumb smile on my face. And this pattern continued throughout the day. Only, it wasn’t just idiotic smiles over nothing on my face. It manifested itself in numerous ways. There were intricate dance numbers about various things. I tugged the telecommunications strings that I work with day in and day out and everything I needed and wanted was made manifest. There were numerous projects that I had been waiting on someone else to assist me in completing them and they were all in my inbox by the time I came to work. I sang, horribly off-key, about every aspect of my day. I was accused of drinking too much caffeine. It didn’t matter what it was to everyone looking at me. It was the new day and it was a new year and I was going to enjoy every minute of it. I knew I was going to have a good day and I wasn’t wrong. If this was the model for all future days throughout the next year, then I will have the best year of my life.

When I got home, I jumped in the shower so I could do some quick cleansing. I talked to TH about how awesome my day was. As I explained to him, I was a consummate bad ass all day and everything I touched turned into awesome.

We had an okay evening at home. I relaxed. I spent a lot of time just sitting with my son and watching television. When I was sick of his cartoons – damn you, Sprout Channel, and your 24 hours of child programming – I sent him to his room. And I just relaxed. I didn’t worry about all of the things I was planning to do for the rest of my festival. I didn’t worry about all of the clothes I needed to wash or what parts of my house were dirty (all of it). I just spent time, not bothering with anything that wasn’t about me. I took a few hours of my day to be selfish for the first time in a very long time. And while I will always have a guilt complex about taking a time out from being a mom, being a devotee, being a human being so that I can treat myself, it wasn’t something that I deserved and something that I needed.

When it got late enough and it looked like the sun was finally going to go down, I pulled my icons out of their impromptu home in the window. I placed them back in their respective places, making sure that everything was clean and ready for residency. Each icon was given a little prayer of thanksgiving and a moment of intense emotion before I put them on their various altars. I refreshed offerings before spending more time, clicking over Sekhmet’s new icon and her altar space. While I had rearranged everything to my satisfaction the week prior, I still had some finishing touches to add. When I felt that everything looked all right, I added fresh offerings to each deity and snapped photographs of Sekhmet’s new icon.

Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. Don't fucking come back, motherfucker.

Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. Don’t fucking come back, motherfucker.

To finish off my evening, I decided I needed to do some major execration. Since I have a lot of high school related shadow work in the year to come, I decided to execrate that particular experience. While high school tends to merely equate with those four years of freshman to senior year, I’ve added items that occurred both before and after. And since a lot of that shadow work is the main reason for a lot of my anxiety and self-esteem problems, I added those items as well. I also added the three main people that I need to execrate in great detail this coming year. I put a giant Apep representation in the middle as a final sticking point. You will also notice that I added other items to my execration but my main focus had to do with the ritual execration of poopy head in the center there and the three names around it.

I stomped upon the paper four times with each foot. I crumbled it up. I stabbed it a few times with the ritually pure blade that sleeps on Sekhmet’s altar. I then took it outside and lit it. The burn was slow and steady. In fact, it was so slow and steady that I had more than enough time to read a few chapters in the book I’m reading, check my E-mail, and comment a few times on Facebook. When the burn was complete, I looked into my little pot and was startled by the lack of debris. I’ll usually have something or another left over after an execration, but not this time.

I’ve decided to take it as a good sign.

While this year’s Wep Ronpet was not nearly as action packed as last year, I have to admit that I was rather more pleased with the lackadaisical approach to this holiday. There was hardly any planning before the day itself. There wasn’t even a thought as to what I was going to do besides make sure my icons were rejuvenated by Re’s giving rays. I didn’t really worry that I wouldn’t have as much time as I had the previous year. I didn’t even really care how things ended up. I just knew that I wanted something without too much fanciness and without too much pomp. While planning a big, ornate rituals is all well and good, it takes a lot of spoons right the hell on out of you, just in the prep. And while I will admit that I can get a little jealous when I see other’s really “perfect” and “ornately scrumptious” rituals all laid to bear, I have to admit that even just thinking about doing something like that takes a lot out of me, too.

Besides, the point in this stuff is about me. This whole process has nothing to do with anyone outside of this household. It’s about me. It’s about my gods. And it’s about paying homage to them in whatever way my little layperson self can think up. And frankly, if my religion is all about outward appearance then I really must be doing something wrong. If that were ever the case, I should very well stop what I’m doing, pack it all up, and move on with my life.

One thought on “Wep Ronpet 2013

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s